The Mr. and I had our first appointment with an OB earlier last week. We scheduled a preconception checkup to meet a potential Obstetrician and to have some of our questions answered. Seeing as how we are both still young and healthy, the checkup was more of a question and answer ordeal. No blood work was done. No physical examinations besides stepping on the scale and taking my blood pressure. We left with a few items to keep in mind:
- continue taking prenatal vitamins with sufficient folic acid, over the counter is fine
- start taking a DHA supplement
- consume 12oz of fish each week
- due to my low daily intake of dairy products, I should also take a calcium supplement
- check our vaccination records
- eat plenty of dark leafy greens
- continue with my current exercise regimen (yoga and running)
From there, I now have a couple of things to look into:
- I have a pretty consistent diet during the week, I’m planning on tracking my food intake to see which prenatal vitamins work best for me
- I hope to boost my consumption of calcium rich foods to see whether a calcium supplement is necessary
- Start looking into some scrumptious low mercury fish recipes!
- We both had chicken pox growing up, therefore no need to get the varicella vaccine.
- I’ve had a booster MMR and Tetanus shot within the last 5 years. I need to check whether the tetanus shot included the pertussis vaccine.
So that concludes our experience at the OB for a Preconception Checkup! It wasn’t anything new really since I’ve already done a bit of research on things to do before trying to conceive but it was nice to see a doctor in person whom I can ask any outrageous and random questions of my own.
I’ll post a later update to which prenatal vitamins and DHA supplements I decide on.